Following the presidential election of 2016, two former congressional staffers talked about what every progressive in America was talking about: What do we do now?
It hit them. They had seen a model for success for how local activism can effect real change in Congress: the Tea Party! If the Tea Party was able to take on a historically popular President Obama with a Democratic supermajority to slow and sometimes defeat his federal agenda, they felt that they could surely take on Donald Trump and the members of Congress who would do his bidding!
On December 14, 2016, these same staffers went on to write a Google doc and post it online. The Indivisible Guide, as it was called, has four key components directed at replacing members of Congress supportive of the Trump agenda:
- Town Halls
- Local Public Events
- District Office Visits
- Coordinated Calls
To date, over 5800 Indivisible groups have been established across this nation—more than 2 per congressional district! And the original founders have promised to…
continue their work to demystify Congressional advocacy;
support the communities of local groups putting the Indivisible Guide into action;
and build momentum, shared purpose, and a vibrant community of angelic troublemakers
Indivisible Naperville was founded in the fall of 2016 by Dianne McGuire and Deb Pierce as a result of the Presidential election.
Dedicated to challenging the current administration’s agendas and reclaiming government for and by the people at the local, state, and federal levels, creating transparency from those who represent us. As a conduit of action, issues, and events in the Naperville community, greater Chicago area, Illinois, and the United States as a nation, we embrace the principles of Human Rights, Inclusion, Respect, Non-Violence, and Fairness for all.
…a group of progressive women and men in the greater Naperville, Illinois area.
…committed to challenge the current administration’s extreme agenda.
We strive to preserve and improve
- the Affordable Care Act
- Social Security
- Environmental Protection Act
- Arts and Sciences
- Internet Privacy.
we engage all levels of government across party lines in frank, respectful dialogue and actions to drive policy, legislative changes, and “votes” for a more effective government that improves the lives of “we” the “people”.
Long Term Goals
- Resist the Trump agenda in all its varied forms and hold Republicans responsible for Trump’s policies and actions.
- Support Indivisible goal of replacing Republican Members of Congress…in this case, Peter Roskam
- Recruit/support Democratic candidates to run against Republican incumbents/candidates
- Encourage active resistance in the form of protests, marches, Letters to the Editor, Facebook/online posts, attendance at Town Halls, phone calls to elected officials
Short Term Goals
- Networking with sister groups within the Coalition for a Better Illinois 6th and other groups dedicated to civic concerns
- Formation of expert/issue committees who will create issue briefings for our members to be used in their advocacy.
- Creation/support for Indivisible Naperville website/Facebook pages and other technology as appropriate.