- This event has passed.
September 13, 2017 @ 6:30 pm - 9:00 pm
Next meeting is September 13, 2017 at 7 PM at the Nichols Library in downtown Naperville. We will be hearing from two candidates at this meeting: Lauren Underwood, candidate for the 14th Congressional District, and Laura Ellman, candidate for the 21st District of the Illinois Senate.
SEPTEMBER 13, 2017
NICHOLS LIBRARY, PROGRAM MEETING ROOM
1. Welcome – This is What Democracy Looks Like!
2. Actions to Date – Please stand and stay standing…if you have done any of the following:
- Phone calls to elected officials
- Emails to elected officials/commissions/committees
- Postcards sent to elected officials
- Personal visits to local congressmen
- Marched as a Resistance entry in a parade over the summer, including the Last Fling in Naperville and the Coalition’s 4th of July entry in the Wheaton parade
- Attended an Activist Expo
- Protested with others
- Attended a Town Hall
- Sent a letter to the editor
- Signed an online petition
- Gave public comment for an elected body
- Posted opinions on Facebook and/or shared RESIST posts/photos with others
- Made a Resistance poster that you have carried to protests
3. Treasurer’s Report/Pass the Hat – Deb Pierce, Barb O’Meara…just a dollar or so per person would be wonderful…if they can donate more, great…
4. Coalition for a Better Illinois 6th Report – Nancy Turner, Dianne McGuire
- Canvass Efforts – 11 Naperville Township precincts are being canvassed by Indivisible Naperville volunteers; next Steering Committee meeting, Oct. 1;
- Hultgren/Roskam billboards…most recent one in West Chicago (Roosevelt/Rt. 59 area
- Press Conference on Medicaid Cuts (Bev, Dana)
5. Communications/Website Update: Nancy Turner /Jim Kopchok
6. Viewing of the film, “Inez Milholland-Forward Into the Light”…. Short discussion to follow…15 minute film…in honor of Women’s Equality Day, August 26th, established by Congress in 1973 to commemorate the 72 year struggle by women to achieve the right to vote
7. Candidate Presentations:
- Lauren Underwood….Candidate for the 14th Congressional District, Naperville resident
- Laura Ellman…Candidate for the Illinois 21st Senate District, Naperville resident
8. Critical Issue Meet-Ups/Reporting Out
- Science and the Environment – Taryn Chaifetz, Chair
- Education – Sandy Hill, Chair
- ERA/Women’s Rights – Barb O’Meara, Chair
- Healthcare – Dr. Dana Bussing/Bev George, Co-Chairs
- Human and Civil Rights – Teri Laliberte, Chair
- Immigration – Nancy Chen, Chair
- Taxes, Jobs and the Economy – Nancy Turner, Chair
- The Arts – Nadine Mungai, Chair
We will invite each attendee to select one of these issue committees to join…goal is to provide feedback/give direction regarding future activities of Indivisible Naperville.
Next meeting: 7 PM, Tuesday, October 24th, Naperville Municipal Center, lower level Meeting Room B – guest speaker: Chris Kennedy, candidate for governor.
We will be meeting at the Naperville Municipal Center going forward and will be able to start at 7 PM and extend the meetings to 9 PM. Monthly dates will be determined after October 2nd.